The MSc in Acoustics and Music Technology (AMT) is a challenging and exciting taught Masters degree, hosted by the Acoustics and Audio Group, that provides a broad-based foundation in the technical, musical and multimedia applications of acoustics and modern music technology.
The core of the programme, comprising 50% of the taught component, combines technical study in the science of acoustics, vibration, computer modelling and signal processing. The flexible design of the MSc then allows you to tailor the remaining 50% of your course choices so as to fit in with your academic interests and career objectives. You may choose to concentrate further on technical and scientific subjects related to acoustics and audio, or to dive into the stimulating world of creative music technology. It is also possible to combine option courses so as to explore both areas.
The overall focus of the MSc programme is the science of sound. There are applications in acoustics, music, sound synthesis, digital signal processing with an emphasis on audio, design and creative use of music technology, speech processing and synthesis, and advanced signal processing.
A key attraction of the degree is that it is run by members of the Acoustics and Audio Group, which includes academics and researchers from across the Schools of Music, Physics and Engineering. This is an internationally recognised centre for research and teaching excellence in acoustics, sound synthesis and audio technology. It is also home to the NESS Project, a long-term EU-funded project developing the next generation of musical sound synthesis models. As a student on the AMT MSc programme, you will have the opportunity to study and develop within the context of this active research environment.
Our graduates seem to appreciate this stimulating academic environment. Have a look at our page of alumni feedback.
Apply for a place on the MSc
The Online Application form for the programme can be found here.
Further programme information
The following pages provide further information about the MSc in Acoustics and Music Technology:
- Entry requirements for the AMT MSc programme.
- Scholarships, funding and fees.
- A list of the courses, both Core and Optional (elective), that make up the programme.
- A summary of the degree’s key learning outcomes.
- A summary of the facilities available to students.
- Details of the various lecturers and professors who contribute to the programme.
- Career pathways for AMT MSc graduates.
- Feedback on the programme from numerous AMT MSc alumni.
- A selection of example project work by AMT MSc alumni.
- The current AMT MSc programme handbook (PDF file) can be found here. This is a lengthy document that includes loads of details about the programme content and course options, most of which is already right here on the website.
Postgraduate Open Days and Reasons to Study at Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh has a number of postgraduate open days throughout the year. These are a great chance to come along and find out more about the degree. It’s also a great opportunity to scope out the City of Edinburgh, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
You can find out about open days on this page.
There is a lot of other useful information about studying in Edinburgh over on the main University website. This includes an exciting list of reasons to come to Edinburgh for your postgrad Master’s degree.